Welcome to Waterloo Lodge
Waterloo Lodge School has been judged as Outstanding in all areas by Ofsted. The inspectors found:
- Students achieve extremely well. They make outstanding progress from their different starting points in a wide range of subjects including English, mathematics and science.
- Teaching meets the different needs of students exceptionally well. Learning is well planned and students know what to do to improve.
- Students are clearly thrilled with their learning. Their very positive attitudes lead to high levels of engagement with learning.
- Staff manage students’ behaviour exceptionally well. They make the best use of the school’s well thought-out systems. This ensures that their timely and appropriate responses give students every chance to behave even better.
- Students, staff, placing authority representatives, parents and carers say that the school keeps students safe.
- The curriculum provides many excellent opportunities to increase students’ skills and experiences. It provides very well for their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.
- Governors and senior leaders have a deep and robust knowledge of the school’s performance, including the quality of teaching and students’ achievement.
- Decisions made by leaders are well informed. They have developed systems to tackle underperformance robustly. They provide effective training to improve staff skills. As a result, the school maintains its outstanding performance.
To read the full report, please click on the link: Ofsted Inspection Report
Waterloo Lodge School is an ‘outstanding’ independent co-educational day school catering for 11-18 year olds who have a statement of educational needs for emotional and mental health needs. The school is part of the Acorn Care and Education group of schools and specialist childcare provider.
Waterloo Lodge is located on the (A6) Preston Road, Chorley with easy access to the M6, M65, M62 and the M61. Pupils from across the North West attend the school and are brought to school each day by taxis or mini buses.
In addition to general classrooms there is a Science laboratory, an ICT Suite, an Art room, and a Food Technology room. PE lessons take place in nearby specialist sports facilities with a range of venues being used for Outdoor Education.
Take a tour around the Outstanding Waterloo Lodge School
Waterloo Lodge School strives to provide a caring, structured learning environment in which all pupils can develop academically, socially, emotionally and morally to their full potential and in which pupils and staff feel safe, secure and valued.
It is our overriding aim to make a difference to young people for today and tomorrow.
We are committed to delivering a personalised curriculum, the derivation of which is based on thorough assessment of a pupil’s needs and preferences alongside their strengths and areas for development; pupils are provided with appropriate and challenging pathways.
We offer an environment where teachers can deliver an exciting and innovative curriculum, ensuring the application and use of emerging technologies is paramount; we have consistently high expectations of all pupils.
Our aim for all pupils is success.
The citizens of the future will need to be flexible and adaptable. They will need to be able to continue to learn throughout their lives to respond to the changing needs of society.
They will need to be able to put their skills into practice to obtain the best results from them.
They should feel able to contribute fully to society; not to be constricted by constraints placed upon them.
They should make valuable contributions to enhance their community and the global community.
They should have opportunities and experiences which extend their belief in what they can become.
They should achieve, if not exceed their potential, educationally and emotionally.
They should be equipped with the skills to make a difference.
At Waterloo Lodge we deliver the full National Curriculum alongside a wide range of vocational and work-related experiences, which are tailored to suit individual needs. Pupils are assessed on entry and an individual programme is developed which takes into account each pupil’s strengths, weaknesses and aspirations for the future.
We place a strong emphasis on the social, emotional and behavioural development of our pupils. Opportunities for positive social interaction are built into the school day and pupils are encouraged to learn together and grow together. A wide range of curriculum and sporting opportunities also complement our curriculum; further information about these can be found in the ‘Beyond the Classroom’ link.
Learning experiences are carefully planned to engage the most reluctant learners. All our pupils have had negative experiences of schools and we strive to offer something different.
The pupils and staff of Waterloo Lodge School have developed some rewarding community links.
At the stablesOne of the organisations we are involved with is The Brothers of Charity, a charitable organization working with adults and young people with learning difficulties; supporting their integration into society and the world of work. A group of our pupils spend each Friday at Lisieux Hall where the Brothers of Charity conduct various activities. Our pupils are involved in horse care, horticulture and recycling.
When we hold fundraising events at Waterloo Lodge, our chosen charity to whom we donate the proceeds is Derian House, a local children’s hospice which provides an invaluable support service for terminally ill children and young people, and their families. We raise money for Derian House through non-uniform days, car washing, anti-bullying activities etc.