1 to 1 Learning Support Assistant
1 to 1 Learning Support Worker:
Location: Chorley, Lancashire
HOURS: 8.30am – 5.30pm Monday to Friday
If you really want to make your mark in a rapidly growing business that is committed to improving the lives of children and young people, we have the role for you!
We now have a fantastic opportunity for a 1 to 1 Learning Support Worker to join our close-knit team at Waterloo Lodge School, Chorley in Lancashire. Someone who takes a more creative approach supporting our teaching personal, would be perfect for this role.
About the School:
Waterloo Lodge is an independent specialist day school for boys and girls aged from 11 to 16, catering for children with a wide range of needs in Lancashire, Manchester and surrounding areas. Our dedicated team work together to ensure successful outcomes for pupils who often arrive at the school with a troubled view of education and life.
We pride ourselves in steering children in the right direction, nurturing aspiration to progress them academically and socially, to encourage them to take pride in their achievements. Socially, we build conﬁdence in our students so they are able to have a greater understanding of the wider community in which they live.
About the Group:
We are part of the Acorn Care and Education Group and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
Acorn Care and Education provide education and care across 20 schools and 19 residential care homes nationally. Our vision is to build incredible futures by empowering vulnerable young people in the UK to be happy and to make their way in the world. Every day we improve the lives of thousands of young people, their families and communities through a relentless focus on caring and learning.
About the Role:
The 1 to 1 Learning Support Worker will engage with an individual pupil, our students, teachers and support workers. Being responsible for assisting, with day to day learning and social skills. The successful candidate will be required to work 8.30am – 5.30pm Monday to Friday.
Waterloo Lodge School caters for children aged 11-16 and has an occupancy of 55 pupils. Our aim is to change young people’s lives and through the use of accredited courses, we will always provide our pupils with the best possible opportunities to succeed, beyond Waterloo Lodge School.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for a 1 to 1 Learning Support Worker who likes a challenge as we see pupils that for the most, are reluctant and troubled learners or have been out of education for a little while.
No two days are the same at Waterloo Lodge, so we want someone who can work at pace to turn ‘can’t do’ into ‘want to’ and is motivated by working with children with complex needs. You will be motivated by your belief that every child can achieve and reach their potential. The ideal candidate will enjoy working with children in a calm and engaging demeanour.
Whilst previous experience of working in a SEN environment would be desirable, excellent communication, interpersonal skills, the right kind of motivation, personal qualities and levels of resilience are just as important.
- To work with an individual and on occasion small groups of children on educational activities.
- To assist teachers in developing and implementing individual educational programmes.
- To support and transport an individual and on occasion small groups of children on vocational college courses offsite.
- To prepare materials and equipment.
- To transport children home and on educational visits etc.
- GCSEs in Maths and English, grade C or above
- Basic computer literacy skills
- Able to work on a lone basis with an individual child on a 1:1 basis, to build a relationship and rapport with the child in a learning and educational environment
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Flexible approach to working
- Ability to build relationships with children & young people
- Clean Driving Licence
- Negotiation Skills
- High expectations of others
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Willing to undertake training
- Ability to prioritise tasks
Why work for us?
A few reasons we think it’s a great place to work:
- Continuous professional development & training for a clear career path
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Be part of a fantastic team who work hard together and support each other
- No two days are ever the same
- Free School Meals onsite
- “Your Wellbeing Matters”
- Employee Rewards Hub
This position is due to commence as soon as possible, of course subject to approved reference and DBS checks.
Applications are invited online through the Acorn Care and Education website www.acorncare.co.uk
If you have any further queries regarding how to apply, please call 01257230894.
Acorn Care and Education are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to fully Enhanced DBS. We expect all our employees and volunteers to share this commitment and strive to achieve the best possible outcomes for everyone in our care. A full application form must be completed with all employment dates and, gaps in employment accounted for.